Visual Studies Workshop (VSW) seeks proposals from artists for its Project Space. The Project Space is a studio workspace for artists working in photography, book art, and moving images. Accepted proposals will receive four weeks time in the Project Space, full access to the collections and studios at VSW, assistance from VSW staff, a stipend of $750, travel expenses for those outside the region (one round-trip up to $500), and a supplies budget of $250.
Two slots per month from April 2020 through February 2021 are available. One resident will be from the Greater Rochester region and the other from outside the area. Accepted residents from outside of Greater Rochester will be provided a free furnished studio apartment two blocks away from VSW.
The Project Space provides artists the opportunity to experiment with new work, new display strategies, and to have discussions with critics, curators, graduate students, and the community-at-large about works in-progress. Artists open the Project Space to the public in one or more open studio sessions during the residency.
A committee of artists and curators at Visual Studies Workshop will review the proposals.
Call opens: September 25, 2019
Deadline: December 30, 2019
Notification: On or before February 15, 2020
- The proposal should be no more than 150 words in length.
- You MUST include a first and second choice of month for the residency. Note that June-August and December-January are very competitive due to the number of educators who apply.
- A bio of no more than 50 words with a website link included, if available.
- Collaborations are welcome and, in the case of a collaborative proposal, an additional 50-word bio for proposed presenters may be submitted. Collaborators from outside the Western NY region in need of housing would need to be comfortable residing in the artist apartment together.
- Please submit examples of recent works made within the past 3 years in the form of still images, PDFs of books, moving image pieces, documentation of installations or writing samples where applicable to the work.
- All submissions must be made through submittable.com.
- Eligibility is free and open to all practitioners; However, students are not eligible for residencies at this time.
- Up to TEN still images, no larger 72 resolution and 10 inches on the longest side
- Up to TEN minutes of moving images
- Up to three pages of text
- The deadline for submissions is December 30, 2019.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or for more information.
Visual Studies Workshop’s mission is to support makers and interpreters of images through education, publications, exhibitions, and collections. Our wide range of programs and facilities support media artists, students, other arts organizations, and the general population interested in the visual arts and its education. The interrelated program areas that implement and extend our mission are in Education, the Research Center, VSW Press, Artists-in-Residence, and Exhibitions. We are located in Rochester, NY in the Neighborhood of the Arts at 31 Prince Street, 14607.
VSW's Exhibitions program is supported in part by Joy of Giving Something, The Max and Marian Farash Foundation, The County of Monroe, and The New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.